Labels

Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Cast Iron Skillet Handle Holder

So, you all know that I enjoy to cook but, I don't think I've mentioned my love for my cast iron skillets.  They are perfect for searing fish and finishing it off in the oven, making a "steak house worthy" steak, blackened chicken (I will post my recipe soon), and so much more.  The only problem with cast iron is how hot the handle gets (and how it smokes sometimes but, that's besides the point).  My hot pads have seen better days, they get washed each time the towels need to be washed.  I tend to get them a little dirty and this is unfortunate when they are in the washer and I want to use cast iron.  Well, I had some 100% cotton yarn left over from making dishcloths last year for Christmas presents.  So, last night, as I'm sitting on my couch with a hot pad on my back I started playing around with a skein of yellow.  Well, The result was a cast iron skillet handle holder (that fits wonderfully).  Here is what you need to do:

Materials:

4.00mm hook
100% cotton yarn (I used Sugar n' Cream in yellow) -- I have also used the Peaches and Creme brand
scissors

Abbreviations:

ch: chain
sc: single crochet
sl st: slip stitch
st: stitch
sts: stitches

Gauge:

5 sc = 1 inch
totals 5 inches in length

Tutorial:

chain 6

single crochet 5 across


insert your hook into the first stitch on the
other side of your foundation chain


single crochet across the back side of the foundation chain
finished product without the reverse single crochet edging
notice the additional real estate that the
reverse single crochet round adds

Directions:

ch 6
Round 1: in second st from hook, sc 5 across, sc 5 across on back side of foundation chain (10 sts) (here is a good video tutorial
Round 2: 2 sc in first st, sc in next 3 sts, 2 sc in next 2 sts, sc in next 3 sts, 2 sc in next st (14 sts)
Round 3: 2 sc in first st, sc in next 5 sts, 2 sc in next 2 sts, sc in next 5 sts, 2 sc in next st (18 sts)
Rounds 4-5:  sc around (18 sts)
Round 6: sc in next 4 sts, sc2tog, sc in next 7 sts, sc2tog, sc in next 3 sts (16 sts) (here is a good video tutorial of sc2tog
Rounds 7-20: sc around (16 sts)
Round 21: sl st in next 2 sts, F/O and weave in ends

If you're interested in a more interesting edge, don't weave in the ends, instead, reverse sc around and then F/O and weave in ends.
Note: this will add some more length to the skillet holder.

Happy Hooking!

Please note: Patterns are for personal and charity use only.  If you enjoy the pattern, please link to it, but do not copy the pattern to your own website or blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment