Labels

Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Chicken Corn Chowder

I don't know about the rest of you but, I love being able to put rotisserie chicken in recipes.  They are so easy (and usually cheaper than buying chicken breasts for the recipe).  My grocery store has them normally priced at $7.99, which is high, but, on Friday they have a "chicken special" --YES there is a man that walks around in a chicken costume asking you if you've heard about their chicken special every single Friday.  Instead of them being $7.99 they are $4.99 so, I gave into the man in the chicken costume and purchased a rotisserie chicken.

Now I have the dilemma of what should I do with my chicken.  I come home and debone it almost immediately (I find this is easiest to do while they are still warm).  I was thinking of making a nice chicken enchilada dish but, I was asked for Chicken Corn Chowder instead.  So, here is my recipe. I hope you enjoy it as much as we do!

Ingredients:
1 red bell pepper, chopped
1 small onion, diced
1 jalapeno, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 cup flour
1 box low-sodium chicken broth
1 bag frozen corn
1 rotisserie chicken, deboned and shredded
4 oz cream cheese, softened
1 cup milk
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
3 chicken flavored bouillon cubes
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper

Directions:

  1. In large dutch oven, heat olive oil over medium heat.  Saute the bell pepper, onion, jalapeno, and garlic until tender (about 5 minutes).  In a bowl, whisk the broth and flour until there are no lumps left.  Add the flour mixture to the dutch oven.  Stir until consistent.  Add the chicken and corn to the dutch oven, bring to a boil and let simmer for 10 minutes.
  2. In a bowl, melt your cream cheese in the microwave.  Whisk together the milk and melted cream cheese until there are no lumps.  Stir in the cream cheese mixture, bouillon cubes, salt and pepper, and cheddar cheese to the soup.  Reduce heat and let simmer for another 20 minutes. 
I like to serve this with a toasted baguette or a small toasted sandwich.  ENJOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment